Saturday, March 30, 2013

Ack!

The following post may be TMI.  I've been having problems with my gut since I was in Quebec last week.  I wanted to blame it on jet lag when I was up there, but I've had issues all this week and I know it's related to what I've been eating.  I have to finally realize that anything that sours my stomach and makes me start burping, that requires me to reach for an antacid, is something I cannot digest comfortably.  One of the biggest culprits for me is wheat.  I had issues for years before I ever heard of gluten-free and believe me the first time I tried it, there were hardly any GF products on the market and what was there was expensive and not all that wonderful to eat.  But I immediately felt better and I stayed GF for awhile.  But gradually, gluten crept back into my diet and I think because it doesn't cause breathing issues or make me swell up or break out in a rash, I ignore that it is causing problems for me.

I'm going back to the primal diet I was on at the beginning of the year.  I felt great when I was on it and I want to feel that way again.   Lean meats, poultry, seafood, veggies, fruits, nuts, beans.  All of these things I can eat with no problem but I will be cutting out all grains for a bit and then gradually add brown rice and GF products into what I eat.  I will also keep dairy to a minimum.  I don't have an issue with dairy but I eat A LOT of it, so cutting back a bit will be helpful, I think.  I can still drink a glass of wine with dinner.  My biggest hurdle at this point will be dark chocolate.  I LOVE dark chocolate.  I tend to eat sweets mostly out of boredom and laziness but most of it, I can take or leave but dark chocolate is YUMMY!  I will try to avoid it, mostly because of the sugar, but I'm not promising anything.

I'm going to have to be a bit more organized and a little less lazy when it comes to prepping food, especially for lunches this week.  I will cook some chicken and hard boiled eggs to take with me and then get a couple of pre-made salads from Trader Joes.  The less I have to fuss with food at work, the more likely I am to stay with eating this way.  At this point, I'm willing to stay with it to avoid spending more time than I want to in the bathroom.  Sigh...

No comments: